Dec 22, 2010

Just a quick update...

Hi dear ones! I hope this finds you well and enjoying this Christmas week! My schedule got a bit switched up so I'm here at the Glen checking emails, facebook and throwing out a quick update. The past two weeks have flown by. I am (thankfully) feeling way more settled into my role as Small Babies Supervisor. The Aunties I am working with during the day are a joy to be with and helping me get to know my role better. It is so funny how much like a parent I feel. Even on my days off I feel the need to go in and check on everyone, hold my littlest babies and get the report from the Aunties. In the evenings I feel like the mom who is home with the babysitters, trying not to get in their way but I can't help but go back once or twice to check on a crier or a sick baby.

Thank you for those of you who prayed for my little baby boy who was sick. He finished his 7th day of antibiotics day before last. He doesn't have any outward signs of an infection but his breathing is still fast and shallow. His oxygen saturation levels are within a normal range but we are still watching him closely. Thankfully the infection has not spread and the other little man on meds for an allergic skin rash outbreak of sorts and wheezy chest is looking and sounding much better. Please continue to pray that everyone remains healthy and that we would have wisdom as we care for these little ones.

Speaking of little ones, we had a new addition this past week! We received an itty-bitty little boy this week at 9 days old. His mother abandoned him at the hospital but we couldn't get him home until his jaundice had cleared up. When he arrived he was just under 4 pounds! He is long and lanky and I think he looks a bit like Michael Jackson so we call him "MJ" sometimes. For his first few days with us he was having trouble maintaining his body temperature and because he was so new I spent time with him in "kangaroo care". Kangaroo care is when you provide skin-to-skin contact for a premature infant by placing them in nothing but a diaper under your clothing, holding them close and mimicking the womb. In his first week with us he gained weight, is eating well and has enough fat on his body to keep warm. It has been fun having a little one who is so new and little.

Lastly, I wanted to update you on the twins I told you about last time I blogged. Sadly, last week they were returned to their family under some uncertain and possibly unsafe conditions. It is funny how attached I became to them in the two weeks that they were in our care. We had less than 24 hours to say goodbye and sneak in all the last cuddles we could, and believe you me, I got a ton in. When I brought them down to put them in our social workers car she asked me to pray over each of them because she was concerned about where they were headed. As I tearfully prayed over them, the Holy Spirit quickly reminded me of Matthew 10:28-31 where we are reminded: "Do not be afraid of those who can kill the body but cannot kill the soul...Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside of your Father's care. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows. " Even though I had no idea where these babies were headed to and for but their Father did and would be with them. Please pray that, if the Lord wills and it is best for them, that they would be returned to our care. Pray that the Lord would preserve their lives and guard their health.

Our Christmas celebration was last night with a White Elephant Gift Exchange Christmas Party last night hosted by the volunteers that have been with us from the World Race. About 20 of us gathered to eat yummy food and do a gift exchange. It was a fun-filled night that finally made it actually feel like Christmas time. I ended up with a new loofah, nail clippers, hair ties and a green crown...very fun and useful! I will be working for the next few days but I promise to wish each of my babies a Happy First Christmas from all of you. I am missing you this season but I feel loved and supported in so many ways. Thank you! XOXXOX

Here are some new pics:

We had a baby doll basket donated to DOH and I borrowed it for a cute photo shoot to come...

Sweet baby feet

Our littlest girl!

Our littlest boy!

Kangaroo Care



1 comment:

  1. Precious pictures...praying for you and the little ones you care for. Happy New Year Nicole...miss you tons...and love you more than that!
    Cathy (Farrar...lol...in case you get notes from more than one Cathy!)

    ReplyDelete

The Hard Dirt of 2022

For the last few weeks, I've felt overwhelmed whenever I've considered how to encapsulate all the experiences 2022 brought for me an...