Mar 5, 2012

March Madness... I Hope Not!


Happy March! The passage of time continues to amaze and astound me. I find it hard that I’ve already been back in South Africa for over a month. In some ways it feels like this has been the longest month ever but then it feels like I was just happily sipping a caramel macchiato back in CA. Weird. So, confession time: I am writing this blog from my bed. And yes, it has been that kind of week. I had every intention of spending the afternoon in the office, updating my blog and catching up on emails but I cannot seem to forsake my comfy pillows for my squeaky office chair. I’ll upload it tomorrow! This week has included but was not limited to:

-       One amazing visit with my sweet boy’s adoptive family at Baby House 2
-       Two beautiful handovers where 2 families met their babies for the first time
-       Three babies starting cereal for the first time including my Queen Bee at Baby House 3
-       Seven babies carted to Big Shoes to see our pediatrician, Janet
-       Seventeen hours sitting in Casualties (what we call our emergency room) with 2 sick baby girls who both are currently in the hospital with chest infections

And those are just a few highlights… that may be why I can’t get out of bed this afternoon!

Saying goodbye to the little man I named has been a multi-layered process that I’m still trying to identify and work through. I am confident that he was matched with the family that our Father chose for him. They are a delightful, kind and unassuming family who already love him. He has an older brother who is three, adorable, curious and friendly. I can see them years from now charming their way out scuffles, defending one another, giving their sweet mother grey hair and making friends with everyone they meet. I am convinced that the love Christ coming through me has made it’s mark on JJ’s soul and I am praying that when the time comes when he encounters Jesus’ love in grown up ways that it will familiar and safe. I guess this whole handover process all boils down to surrender. Not just the physical handover, leaving the baby I’ve loved like my own for over a year in the arms of strangers, but surrendering all my perceived rights and privileges of loving him special. Within the context of Door of Hope everyone knew that the relationship I shared with JJ was special, unique and identifiable but when I handed him to his parents I also had to hand over that “right” to the Lord. It has been a hard three weeks… waiting for bits of news about how his transition was going, what name his parents had decided to give him and anticipating their visit where we would have to say goodbye and he would head home to Sweden for good. I had to continually ask the Lord to remind me that His invest of love in JJ’s life through me is of eternal worth and that it cannot be diminished by the passage of time or the forgetfulness that time often brings. This past Wednesday JJ and his family came to tour Baby House 2 and it was such a special time. They were super cute, videoing me the whole time, asking me to recount stories of his time with us and asking many questions about his time with us.  They took pictures by his cot, of his friends and a group shot of all the Aunties on duty. They brought treats for the staff and a sweet, silver necklace pendant for me. His mom “wore” him in a wrap but JJ was all smiles, reaching for me the minute he saw my face. As I walked them to the door I was able to hug each of them and kiss my boy’s face for the last time. I pray that we will meet again, that somehow, someway that I will be able to bear witness to the testimony of his precious life. I pray that our good and gracious God will woo JJ to Himself and redeem his soul. I pray that one day I will be able to introduce him to all of you as we gather together to worship the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. Until that glorious day I will choose to entrust my boy to the One who made him, the One who knows him and will always love him best.

Thank you for all of the prayers and beautiful words of kind love and support. The transition back to work and life here has been rough in comparison to when I first moved here. I think there have just been a lot of transitions and changes all at once complied with new babies to get to know and love, JJ’s adoption, a new roommate and the realization that I won’t be back in CA for a long time has made it a lonely couple of weeks for me. However I am more convinced than ever that this is EXACTLY where the Lord wants me loving and serving and I am delighted to be back  with my babies! Please be praying for baby G and baby A, two of my little girls who are currently in the hospital fighting chest infections. Please pray for healing, swift recoveries and that we will find supernatural favor from the hospital staff members who care caring for my girls. I am grateful for your prayers and love. I thank our Jesus for you every time He brings one of you to mind.

Hugs and blessings,

Nicole and her babies

P.S. Here are some pictures for your enjoyment... also check out  http://www.africastories.org/ to check out some recent video work done for us by our good friend Margie Drane! 


 One of my new able men... 

 Another sweet man on his first day with us!

 The itty bitty hand of one of my new girls

One of the promo photos for the video work done by Margie

2 comments:

  1. Your note brought tears to my eyes...your loving heart is so special. I miss you and pray the Lord comforts you, enclosing and protecting you in his mighty hand.

    Love, Cathy (F)
    P.S. Wish you could be here for Jason and Alyssa's wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss you and love you Nicole! Be blessed.
    Lots of love and big hug, Arina

    ReplyDelete

The Hard Dirt of 2022

For the last few weeks, I've felt overwhelmed whenever I've considered how to encapsulate all the experiences 2022 brought for me an...