Jun 26, 2017

Tiny but Mighty -- Part Four


By this time, I was beginning to look worse for the wear and was so tired that I literally fell asleep sitting in my uncompromisingly rigidly hard plastic chair with a cup of coffee in hand! My fantastic support team at Refilwe worked it out that I would be able to go for a few hours each day to a nearby hotel to take a shower and lay down flat for a nap. It made all the difference in the world. I am not sure if I would have made it without that kindness. We were attempting to wean J off the oxygen and had managed to get him to the lowest setting available, “really just bubbles” said one doctor. The problem was that the “weaning” process began to look like this: take him off the oxygen, bring around the only semi-working SATS machine on the ward to check his blood oxygen saturation level, get one bad number and then put him right back on the oxygen only to be forgotten for the rest of the day. After a few disheartening days like that, I asked Auntie Cindy to bring our own SATS machine to the hospital so I could monitor him more closely myself. I clipped J’s little big toe into the machine, removed his oxygen and then would watch. If he dipped too low, on the oxygen would go back on and I would give him some time to recover then we would start the whole process again. Slowly but surely he was able to go for longer and longer without oxygen. We spent the weekend working up to a whole 24 hours without oxygen and then on Monday morning we were able to start the 10-hour process of being discharged!



As I began to pack things up and say goodbyes on the ward I was able to see, in part, some of the reason why J and I were allowed our stay on the ward. We had made friends and allies; we had been able to encourage and speak hope to hurting and frightened mommies. We were able to share hard truths and open conversations with sisters, doctors and administrators on the ward where observations and concerns were carefully shared. We made friends with another precious little on the ward with Down’s and were able to leave her with a smile and a quilt made with love all the way from California. We shared our story with so many and God’s goodness towards J was recognized by everyone we were able to share with. And the story of God’s love, goodness, provision and favor for J (and his family here at El Roi) has just begun! He is thriving being at home and has captured all of our hearts. I have to sneak in early to his room in the mornings to catch his first smiles before another Auntie beats me to it! I can’t wait to see all the God has in store for this extra special, tiny but mighty, ridiculously loved and wanted, little sunshine of my life. 


I will share more about his current wonderfulness in posts to come but in general he is rocking it!!! As of today he weighs over 5kg and just moved to drinking 150 mLs every four hours. Thanks for all the prayers and kind words about our sweet boy. Love you all! 

And J? You were made for amazing things, my boy, I can’t wait to see what they are!!!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing J's story thus far. I am thanking Jesus with you for his faithful provision and care for J and for you. And, I am thanking him for how he continues to grow your faith, your endurance, and your love for him and for others. You are such an inspiration to me. Love you and praying for you and all your babies. xo

    ReplyDelete

The Hard Dirt of 2022

For the last few weeks, I've felt overwhelmed whenever I've considered how to encapsulate all the experiences 2022 brought for me an...