Jul 2, 2017

Little Moose Heads Home


I am not sure how time flies by so quickly but somehow 712 days seems like they flew right by! It feels like just yesterday we got this snuggly, kissable little person and now he is in the arms of his Forever Family... enjoying a mommy, daddy and big sister! 


When I try and articulate those first few weeks of "getting to know you" I remember most feeling grateful that this precious little moose had been rescued and feeling extremely humbled that God would bring him into our arms. Right after birth this precious bundle was tied in a plastic rubbish bag and abandoned in a local dumping area. Thankfully our good, good Father allowed his newborn voice to be heard and he was found before he was lost to the cold morning. I had the honor of naming him and gave him a name meaning "God has heard" -- beyond grateful that he had been heard!!


The lessons that each child's unique story and personality bring are as varied as the babies themselves. I think "S" taught me many things. As a newborn he brought the reminders of God's mercy; His willingness and ability to rescue and save. As a toddler he reminded me the importance of consistency and patience as he continually (and loudly) pushed against the boundaries set around him. He reminded me of a little moose... pushing again and again; just too see if his will and desire could change the boundary lines around him. Oh, how he reminded me of me! 

 

During S's first year with us I spent time memorizing Psalm 16... my favorite bits reminding me: 
The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup;

    you hold my lot.
 
The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places;

    indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance.

I bless the Lord who gives me counsel;

    in the night also my heart instructs me.
 
I have set the Lord always before me;

    because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken.

Many a season I have found myself complaining about where God's boundary lines placed me but the truth reminds me (and most days I can see) that the lines have fallen for me in pleasant places. That my inheritance is beautiful and Christ is my portion. Our little moose sometimes forgot that the boundaries of napping and finishing his food were good lines that had actually be created for his overall growth, joy and success -- not to torture or tease him with what "could be" if things were different or if he could have his way. Out of love, it was our job to remind him of the boundaries and the freedom and joy that would become available to him each and every time he chose to listen and obey. 



Some boundaries of my current call are uncomfortable and taxing but God has placed me in a community where we get to witness story after story of God's grace, mercy and beauty! Including 712 days with a Mister who's giggle would brighten the darkest day, a little parrot repeating words perfectly not having a clue what they meant. A little person who would call for kisses and once in your arms lean in for not one but twenty kisses at a time. We bore witness to many of his firsts... two Christmases, two birthdays, first steps, words, foods, temper tantrums and smiles. How lucky were we?!

 

And even with this precious placement there is joy and pain, growth and faith all being developed within the boundary lines of this little person's story. We joyfully experienced a gorgeous match with a family specifically handpicked and prepared for this little man and painfully had to walk 3 older boys waiting for their families through another goodbye. Our faith was bolstered after watching a new family born over a two-day placement after 712 days of waiting, wondering and hoping for God to make a way. And we ask God to help our unbelief as we trust and wait for families for all of our kiddos... even in the face of "impossible" challenges and ridiculously frustrating roadblocks. 


I am a better Auntie because of this little man and even today sorting pictures for this blog I teared up missing his boisterous, joyful and loud presence in our home. I know that God rescued this little man for divine purpose and I hold in my heart hopeful expectation for the other side of eternity when I can see the whole of his life unfold for the glory of God and the good of his generation.

Thank you to all of you who have contributed to our little man's life! Without your prayers and love, financial support and provision I would not have been able to bear witness to this person's life. I am a better Auntie with you on my team... I love and thank God for each of you! Until next time!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Hard Dirt of 2022

For the last few weeks, I've felt overwhelmed whenever I've considered how to encapsulate all the experiences 2022 brought for me an...